The campaign to keep Darting College on the Dartington estate rests on the assumption, espoused so eloquently by Tagore, and put into practice by the Elmhirsts, that art, music and culture are essential components of a healthy community and society.
It is therefore vital that the local community makes its voice heard, but unless people are aware of the issues that are at stake, many will not make the effort.
Please talk to as many people as possible, explaining why it is important to have this decision overturned, and ask them to write letters, sign the petiton and actively support us.
Some points that you might want to make:
1) The college makes an enormous contribution to the cultural life of the area.
2) Many of the artists and musicians who live in Devon are ex-students from the college or have come to live here because of the college. We will lose many of them if the college is moved to Falmouth
3) The economic impact on the area will be severe, with the loss of jobs and the knock on effect on businesses in Totnes.
4) The idea that the ‘economic model’ is the only viable way to run our cultural institutions is both wrong and extremely damaging to the fabric of our society. Culture is a valuable and essential component of a healthy community and society and should be treated as such.
5) There are always alternatives. The only thing that is needed is people with the vision, commitment and enthusiasm to find them.